Subject: [Leica] RE: scenes from the OR ...paw 15
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Mar 30 07:14:30 2005

Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: scenes from the OR ...paw 15

Peter Werner did some playing with exposure and cropping:

Ruben said:
>>> yep - you have inlightened the image :-)<<<<

Guys, guys,
Well OK eh? I realize you lads are trying to improve this shot of Steve
Barbour's series, but?

Both of you ask yourself this simple question after looking at the
photograph of the nurse with full face mask and far better lighting....

"Which is the better of these two pictures?"......................... OK
three pictures, now with some cropping and exposure change.

Obviously without fiddling it's the full face mask!  Even with the few
reflections. I appreciate, as  I'm sure Steve does, you're trying to "save
this shot!" But in the reality of real life it just wouldn't make it off the
contact sheet compared to the full face with mask photo, period!

And the only time it would be worth trying to save a shot like this would
be....... "if there wasn't anything better and it was a crucial shot in a
story series!"

So? Basically why bother when you already have a solid shot with basically
no work standing on it's own trying to save something that right off doesn't
cut it? Now this is as hard nose as it gets in the real world of
photography. Also, why we have Photo Editors who can be the meanest assed
SOB's when selecting our photography without attached emotions from the
moment of making the exposures.

So assume this morning I'm the  "mean assed SOB of a Photo editor!" ;-)

Good try though Peter and if it were necessary to use it, I'd go with your
final crop and adjustment with a touch more burning in on the hot areas.

Steve's good fortune and eye is, he shot a better one right off! :-) Good on
you Steve, trust me one can never have too many shots!

Hopefully all you lads & lasses understand there's an interesting "light
learning picture editing lesson here." never put up a poor one, along side a
very good one! Editing is a cold cruel thing.:-)

Not to say a "tough thing to swallow" when the editor says............ ?

ted

Message from ruben at rhodos.dk (Ruben) ([Leica] RE: scenes from the OR ...paw 15)