Subject: [Leica] Re: camera obscura
From: heintz at ucalgary.ca (John W. Heintz)
Date: Thu Mar 31 23:00:02 2005

Brightbytes gives a lot earlier dates that Leonardo:

The earliest mention of this type of device was by the Chinese
philosopher  Mo-Ti (5th century BC). He formally recorded the creation
of an inverted  image formed by light rays passing through a pinhole
into a darkened  room. He called this darkened room a "collecting
place" or the "locked  treasure room."

  Aristotle (384-322 BC) understood the optical principle of the camera
obscura. He viewed the crescent shape of a partially eclipsed sun
projected  on the ground through the holes in a sieve, and the gaps
between leaves  of a plane tree.

  The Islamic scholar and scientist Alhazen (Abu Ali al-Hasan Ibn
al-Haitham)  (c.965 - 1039) gave  a full  account  of the principle
including experiments with five lanterns outside a room  with a small
hole.

Imagine what fun these old guys must have had without all our modern
gadgets! What clever guys!

john h