Subject: [Leica] OT-Zeiss Lenses Now Listed at B&H
From: reddawn at singnet.com.sg (David Teo)
Date: Tue Apr 5 21:05:50 2005

On 06-Apr-05, at AM 06:05, Bill Marshall wrote:

> Hoods priced separately is a problem? Huh? There are plenty of other
> companies that don't include a hood with their lenses. I don't think
> that I've ever had a hood included with any of my Nikon lenses. Okay,
> maybe one AIS lens.
>
> Does anyone think that Leica is giving away the hoods for free? Add in
> the cost of the hood if you're more comfortable comparing the prices
> that way.
>
> It seems to me that Zeiss is making the hood optional. If your
> shooting needs don't require the use of a hood, you don't have to buy
> it. Leica requires that you buy the hood whether you ever use it or
> not.

Hi

Agree. Leica does not supply the hood for "free" anyway - i'm sure the
cost is already included. And they are expensive! I just ordered a
separate hood for my M 28 f2 asph (got it used with box but no hood) -
the cost is astronomical to me, for what seems to be just a piece of
plastic. More than twice the price for a much bigger piece of plastic
that Canon demands for their lens hood to fit much bigger 77mm diameter
lenses :)

I do not use a hood with certain lenses, to keep their size compact.
I'm sure many of you do the same. Not including the hood allows Zeiss
to keep the prices down. As for those expensive finders, one can always
buy the Voigtlander ones!

David Teo

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] OT-Zeiss Lenses Now Listed at B&H)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] OT-Zeiss Lenses Now Listed at B&H)