Subject: [Leica] Question---Filters for B/W
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Apr 7 02:40:44 2005

Bill

Cant say for 400 TMx in particular, but I think you can apply the general
rules like for any other B&W film: a color filter on B&W film makes it's
own color brighter, and it's complimentary color darker. ISO400 films are
ideal to use high factored (dark) color filters at daylight, especially if
you do not want to stop down to 16 or 22.

Imagine the colors in a circle, each on a 1/6th position: Red, Yellow,
Green, Cyan, Blue, Magenta. The complimentary color is always 180 degrees
on the other side. Of course the filter applies not only on it's color and
it's complimentary color, but as well to the neighbours of them, too, with
decreasing effect. Thats why red, orange (which is on a 1/12th position
between R and Y), and yellow have similar, but not identic effects.

Red, Orange, Yellow, are making the blue tones darker (dramatic skies), but
make faces brighter, so not recommended for portraits, but for daylight
architecture and nature photography.

Green gives more contrasts on face's skins (darkens magenta), more
greytones in green environments (woods, fields).

It doesn't make sense to carry R, Y and O all the time with you. I have a R
(very dark, high filter factor) and a Y-G filter (low factor) with me.
Green-Yellow is good for daily use, makes the skies a little bit darker as
well as skin tones, and has a low factor.

Didier

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Question---Filters for B/W)