Subject: [Leica] leica digital back-initial test results
From: lenniefalcon at cclmgmt.com (lennie falcon)
Date: Sat Apr 9 10:32:19 2005

we have been testing the digital r back for the past three days and thought
we would share some preliminary findings. leica usa has loaned us their
initial pre-production unit and the findings have been quite favourable. we
have thoroughly tested the unit attached to a g5 in the studio and on
location. it has performed flawlessly using the imacon software. we have
done side by sides with a kodak 760, a valeo 11 and a sinar 54. the unit
exceeds the 760 and the 11 in colour and it is on par with the sinar. the
imacon software in combination with the digital r is probably the easiest
high-end digital tethered package we have experienced to date. we have not
used the leica processing software because of time constraints (the
photoshop plug in is rgb, so we choose the imacon because it has a cmyk
engine but we assume it to be excellent based on the the overall performance
characteristics.

the major highlights (we will publish expande test results and images this
coming week on the lug):

1. the colour in raw-file format is outstanding, better than any digital
camera we have tested with the exceptions of the sinar system and the
lumiere. fro practical purposes the only the sinar is equal.

2. the chip is very, very clean. noise levels at 100 and 200 are extremely
hard to find, if at all. at 400 and 800 the chip is cleaner than everything
we have seen of late.

3. the leica lenses in combination with the back offer unparallelled  image
quality in a 30mb file. we are testing with 60mm macro(3-cam), the 28mm pc,
the 100mm macro and the 21-35mm zoom.

we will publish our results after first sharing the information with  leica,
but from our experiences, thus far, the neagatives are very, very few. we
have three photographers sharing the unit, so our experiences are quite
diverse. our output people are the very best in the country using state of
the art eval. techniques and equipment. stay tuned.

falcon

Signup at www.doteasy.com

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] leica digital back-initial test results)
Reply from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] For B.D.)