Subject: [Leica] Re: leica digital back; now marketing will save Leica?
From: dorysrus at mindspring.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sun Apr 10 11:21:23 2005

I am saying that to stay true to Leica, they are going to make their
vision of perfection, with that will come a high price.  A high price
will always dictate the "mine is as good as yours and I only paid ...".
A high price will also mean that fewer can afford the item so fewer are
sold.

There is a saying in the business classes in Atlanta that "If you want
to live with the masses, sell to the classes.  If you want to live with
the classes, sell to the masses."  Seems to work for the Walton family
over at Wal-Mart.

As to the Ipod, Apple must have some really good patents and copyright
lawyers.  With most consumer items the knock offs are right behind the
product.  With a markup of 500% or more over cost of production you
would think a decent copy would be out by now.

As to longevity of product, that argument works for a reasonable mark up
for most consumers.  But for double the price, most people will say I'll
buy two of the inferior product.  Leica, to stay inside their corporate
belief system, will continue to make what to them seem the best
available at whatever cost.  I like it that way which is why I own so
much of it, with the exception of some planes, and knives for cutting
edges on wood, I don't know of many manufactured items still functional
after 70 years ( a III that I own) with minimal maintenance.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com