Subject: [Leica] leica digital back-initial test results
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun Apr 10 11:45:19 2005

This is a bit disingenuous, I think, because it's clearly aimed at
folks who are already in the R marketplace. It's for folks who already
have invested in Leica glass and want to conserve that investment and
whose shooting style is mirrored by the Leica R design.

I'm now convinced (from living with the 1Ds Mk II) that having lots of
pixels is a damn good idea and that having LOW NOISE pixels is an even
better one. I'd take 10 MP over 16 if there was a stop or two better
noise characteristics.

I'll shoot my long Leica glass withe the 1Ds and continue to love the
results. But the next lens I buy will probably be the 70-200 f2.8L IS
lens. Because it will meet my needs.

I hope Leica produces an absolute KILLER back for the R8 and then
makes the digital M that's even better, first because I want the great
Leica optics and second because the marketplace needs high-quality
competition - something that holds the bar high - like Leica glass has
continued to do.

I'd like to see Leica get with the times and try something
revolutionary like auto-focus or at least focus confirmation but I'm
not holding my breath for THAT. I think it's already too late for them
to enter the market there.

Ah well, back to shooting....

adam