Subject: [Leica] OT: Computers
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Sun Apr 10 17:39:17 2005

>What is the experience of this group using the Apple
>G5 computers with similar digital capture/acquire
>hardware? Do you see significant work flow
>imporovement over Pentiums? Do you realize a work flow
>improvement beyond that of just the processor speed in
>the case cited above? What is required for other media
>support, drives, optical output devices, etc.

Yes! I find that with Macs, I can focus on working, not on fiddling
with the registry or constantly updating a virus program. I don't run
any virus programs on my Macs and haven't had a virus in 15 years.
The PC computer lab at school that I manage on the other hand, is
constantly beleaguered with them.

The Mac also has better color control than the PC (although XP has
caught up a little bit) as it's built into the fundamentals of the OS
and isn't a tack-on.

The only area that you lose is that the Mac is slightly slower. If
you already have a good monitor, than the Mac Mini for $499 is a
great deal and really kills the idea that Macs are more expensive.

iPhoto and iDVD are also die-for products. And I've just been totally
sold on Keynote (I'm not going to use PowerPoint anymore) and  Pages
is the best page layout program I've ever used for *fun* -- all of my
family newsletters are done using it, and they look GORGEOUS.

Karen Nakamura
http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/