Subject: [Leica] Re:Computers get a Mac don't look back Mac Mini $499
From: feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli)
Date: Mon Apr 11 10:39:11 2005

On Apr 11, 2005, at 10:27 AM, Henning Wulff wrote:

> The only real downside of the mac mini is the slow, small (2-1/2")
> hard drive. It makes it even more important to get all the RAM you can
> get, if you want to do Photoshop stuff. A local photographer I know
> who shoots Leicas and digital sold his Powerbook and got a mac mini;
> his reasoning was that it's smaller than the Powerbook and likely less
> fragile to carry, he has a larger screen at home and any client will
> have a screen and keyboard available if needed, and that screen will
> also likely be a lot larger than the Powerbook one.

If you are going to do a lot of Photoshop on a Mini, it would be
advisable to get a fast external 3.5 inch firewire drive and
make it your system drive, i.e. boot off of it. The small 2.5 inch
'laptop drive' in the mini is not particularly fast (4200rpm)
and really isn't designed to take a hammering as Photoshop's cache
disk. Also keep in mind the OS X will use the disk
for virtual memory and caching, which will stress it even more.

1GB of RAM is probably a must.

The system bus is the other bottle neck in the Mini. It's not in the
same league with the desktop units, but certainly not unusable.

It would be advisable to add up the cost of the extra RAM and external
drive and see how it compares to the base G5 unit.

> Mac users get derided for using something that's 'easy', and doesn't
> need as much effort to configure and keep running cleanly. That
> argument only works if you're interested in the techie/geeky stuff
> (which I happen to be). For most people, getting some work done with
> the computer is more important than the setup or tweaking, and for
> those people a mac often provides a better experience.

The great thing about OS X is that you can use it two ways. As a pure
user who never looks under the hood,
  or as a serious hacker, since it really is UNIX/LINUX.

feli

feli2@earthlink.net                     2 + 2 = 4
www.elanphotos.com

Message from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Re:Computers get a Mac don't look back Mac Mini $499)