Subject: [Leica] OT Barbecue Grills
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Tue Apr 12 16:44:50 2005

Well you need to catch one of Alton Brown's "Good Eats" shows on the
Food Channel where he goes into detail on what you need for a charcoal
grill (the only kind he recommends at all.)

The one you posted looks fundamentally like one I grew up with and it
was great. But Alton recommends that you don't get one with the thin
chrome-steel grates but the thicker cast-iron ones that clean well.
Also a charcoal section you can raise and lower relative to the grill.
Now Alton is from somewhere around Atlanta, I think. Georgia for sure,
and he showed an array of different grills. I saw one on his show I
liked but I haven't found it locally yet although I crave it. It's big
enough so you can put coals at either side and cook something like a
leg of lamb in the middle and not have it over direct heat at all.
Plus you can raise/lower the coal bed with a crank. Very simple, but
all the right features. Probably the M6ttl of grills.

Oh - don't get one with glass windows - the food doesn't need to see
out and the windows usually get broken or cracked fairly quickly -
like when you're cooking and a storm blows in and rain deluges onto
the glass. Some are made to allow temperature probes to be inserted so
you can monitor your roast.

So that's what I've learned about charcoal grills from Alton. I have
used a Weber kettle for a long time but see that I can get more out of
grilling than I have been. I'm a year 'round grilling guy too.

In fact.....hmmmm....time to prepare the flank steak!

Later,

Adam