Subject: [Leica] Newbie question about frame line accuracy
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Apr 14 10:50:50 2005

>Why aren't the framelines in the M's (I have a TTL) very
>accurate for framing?  Is there some special technical challenge
>involved?
>Scott

Scott
The framelines of a M6 tend to be very tight, that means there is more on
the negative than you see in the frameline.

And there is an effect, I unfortunately do not recall it's name, that there
happens some scaling of the frame when you focus. Like a little zoom. If we
take a 50mm lens, then at infinity it's like a 49mm, and close up it's like
a 51mm focal length (or even 48-52). Put a SLR with a nonzoom lens on a
tripod, look through, focus around and you know what I mean. I'd be happy
if a well-knowing LUGger could contribute the name of this scaling effect;
it's on my tounge but I do not remember.

The other day I had a Polaroid 250 Automatic from the sixties in my hands,
and its viewfinder can handle this effect, ie. the frame is getting wider
when focusing to infinity. The principle is very easy, there are two
independent angles moving out- or inward - the left upper angle and right
lower angle - and this combined together with the parallax correction. I
was amazed - that's a feature I had never seen before. Does anybody on the
list know if there are some 35mm RF cameras with that feature?

Didier