Subject: [Leica] Thoughts on the new Zeiss lenses
From: billgem at hotmail.com (Bill Marshall)
Date: Fri Apr 15 05:43:24 2005

Well said, Scott. I'll suggest a couple of things to look for in these
reviews once they come out:

1. How do the 50/2 Planar & 35/2 Biogon actually perform at f/2? MTF data
indicate that these two lenses are as good or better at maximum aperture as
the comparable Summicrons. Leica lenses excel in their performance wide open
& it will be interesting to see in real world photographs if Zeiss lenses
can do the same.

2. How do the 21, 25, & 28 Biogons perform up close? Zeiss claims that these
lenses can be focused to 0.5 meters, like the Contax G lenses. It was one
thing to do this with the unique focusing system on the Contax G, but can
sufficient parallax correction be obtained on the ZI body to obtain accurate
framing? No other RF bodies are RF coupled this close, so we'll have to wait
until the summer for such reviews when the ZI is available.

Regarding the 85, it's not for me either at that price. All of the modern
lenses which Don suggests as an alternative are at least a stop slower. The
fact is that Leica is the only RF portrait lens available at this speed. And
with the new round of price increases announced by Leica, the 90 Summicron
shoud be over $2600 by July 1, so it will be in the same price neighborhood
as the 85 Sonnar. I have to think that this is a speicalized tool, designed
for those who think that the investment will be worth the returns for them -
perhaps professional portrait photographers? Zeiss must think that it is
something special or why else would they offer it? Their other offerings can
be justified as a price alternative to Leica & the 15 Distagon is unique,
but this lens will go head-to-head with Leica at a slightly higher cost. As
Don suggests, there are other alternatives & Rollei offers a nice Zeiss
design in an 80/2.8 Planar at less than half the price for the Zeissaphiles.

Bill

>Scott McLaughlin wrote:

>I don't know. There aren't a whole lot of well written, in depth reviews
>handy around on the web. As these emerge, the Zeiss lenses may well be
>attractive alternatives (look, price, or quality depending on the lens) to
>the current Leica and CV offerings.

We'll see.

Yes, I don't get the 85. Maybe the exotic wides can carry a premium, but to
me, it's just too darned pricey for a short tele.

Scott

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Thoughts on the new Zeiss lenses)
Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Thoughts on the new Zeiss lenses)