Subject: [Leica] Thoughts on the new Zeiss lenses/So expensive?
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Apr 15 22:38:48 2005

All of the facts below are true for some European countries but not
others. For example, in Denmark there are very few additional social
costs--many employers of course offer fringe benefits such as private
pensions, but so do employers in, say the US and I am sure Japan as
well. In the Netherlands the social costs add much less than 40% to the
salary.

The best countries to get laid off are probably Belgium and Germany.
Spain is also pretty generous.

But it is true that it is expensive to manufacture things in Western
Europe, Japan or (parts of) North America. That is a reflection of the
high standard of living in those countries (remember that the employer's
costs are someone's wages). Nonetheless, some companies manage to do it
profitably and well, others don't. More specifically, some German
companies are doing well. Leica is not. I think the problems  at Leica
are much less related to the high cost of doing business and much more
to the poor strategic decisions taken by successive management teams
during the past decade or so.

Nathan