Subject: [Leica] Photos at Putah Creek Restoration Area
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat Apr 16 13:40:32 2005

While waiting to deliver lunches to a field trip I poked around the
one of the Putah Creek restoration areas south of Davis.

These are wild oats. Folks used to think they were natives because
when the settlers and the botanists moved west they found them
everywhere. In fact they are not native to North America. They came
with the first Spanish explorers who brought the seeds with them in
their horse feed.

The presence of wild oats made a substantial difference in the lives
of the Native Americans, however, because up to this time there was no
high-yield grain. It was a fabulous windfall...for a while. Just as
the introduction of horses to the plains Indians made a huge differenc
in their culture...for a while.

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/04/16/_L3U1770.jpg>

I happen to really like the colors in the background.

This is an artichoke thistle - beautiful but the spines are sharp and
they are nasty invasive that even goats won't eat.

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/04/16/_L3U1766.jpg>

While photographing some grass fronds I came up way too close to this
monster. I don't know what it is, I don't WANT to know. I have a thing
about these beasties, but I did a few shots anyway. I'm glad I don't
look too closely at what's in the grass!

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/04/16/_L3U1784-crp.jpg>

<http://www.splitsecondfilms.com/2005/04/16/_L3U1790-crp.jpg>

All with Leica 100 APO on Canon 1Ds Mk II.

Thoughts most welcome.

Adam

Replies: Reply from telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr) ([Leica] Photos at Putah Creek Restoration Area)