Subject: [Leica] Photojournalists and permission
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Tue Apr 19 02:36:07 2005

>I'm asking myself if we are walking towards a beautified world where our
>image is just what we fancy, and some things only happens in far places.
>Kinda blindfolded donkeys.

Luis,

I agree. I thinks it's the photographer's right to be indescreet (not to be
confound with non-ethic) in some situations. Otherwise we would have missed
tons of good and important shots.

Basically, I don't see an ethic issue in photographing a situation that
shows persons in a unfortunate situation, like homeless people, or people
aggrieved by war or catastrophes. It depends more what the photographer (or
his editor) is claiming for it, and if the people on the photos is
identifiable or not.

If the photographer only want's to cause a sensation, then I agree with
Karen, as this is a violation of privacy and therefore ethically not
justifiable.

I do sometime ask people, before I shoot, and sometimes not. It's a
question of the intuition. It depends on the situation and I don't have a
general rule, except, if I feel I don't have to ask, then I prefer not to
ask.

Didier

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Photojournalists and permission)
Message from lmc at interlink.es (Luis Miguel Castañeda) ([Leica] Photojournalists and permission)