Subject: [Leica] Photojournalists and permission
From: datamaster at northcoastphotos.com (Gary Todoroff)
Date: Tue Apr 19 17:06:56 2005

Right on, Karen! While photographing, I have seen someone do something,
e.g., the way a blacksmith looked at a tool held over the fire, and asked
him to "hold it a second." The verbal interaction is also an easy way to
engage someone in a bit of conversation in which the permission to shoot is
more implied than spoken.

I have even asked someone to repeat what they just did. I don't consider it
"posing" the subject. If the subject doesn't think about it too hard, the
"look" is often the same as what you saw a moment before, but were just too
dumb or fumble-thumbed to grab the shot. By asking them to repeat something
they already did, I'm not imposing a pose. (interesting word derivations
there . . . )

For example, I'm sure Ted has asked many a surgeon, "Cut that vein one more
time, Doc, so I can get a better glint off the scalpel." Well, maybe you
can't ask *everyone* to do it again . . .

Gary Todoroff