Subject: [Leica] Photojournalists and permission
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Tue Apr 19 23:14:24 2005

At 9:54 PM -0700 05.4.19, Robert Browne wrote:
>Speaking of James Nachtwey, I recently viewed the DVD of Christian
>Frei's documentary on Nachtwey called War Photographer. To my
>recollection it never shows Nachtwey actually asking permission to
>shoot anyone but you are left with the impression that his presence
>and intent is accepted by his subjects with a good measure of trust.
>Highly recommended viewing.

I  heard him talk when he came to Minneapolis a few years ago. What
the DVD/documentary doesn't show is his translators who do a lot of
the legwork for him.  Permission doesn't have to be in the form of a
signed release but can be given orally too.

Karen

Karen Nakamura
http://www.photoethnography.com/blog/

--