Subject: [Leica] Photojournalists and permission
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Apr 20 07:28:48 2005

Sorry, Karen. In the United States I have the right to take any
photograph I want, of anyone, in or from a public place, as long as I
don't violate any of our new security laws in doing so. And anyone has
the right to photograph me. Period. All you're doing by dragging in
examples of photographing in hospitals and offices is muddying the
waters and dodging the question of whether or not this is still a free
society. Hopefully, it is.

And by the way, I have done quite a bit of photography in hospitals and
have never had to get the permission of specific staff members to do so
- because the hospitals have had standing policies that staff members
may be photographed any time for the benefit of the hospital.;-)
Patients, however, are another matter entirely, and given the passage of
HIPPA, photographing, or interviewing patients in any health care
facility is difficult to virtually impossible. But again, that doesn't
have a damn thing to do with photographing people in public.

But, as you say, everyone has their standards, and yours, as a
photoethnographer, are obviously quite a bit higher than many of ours as
mere photographers. :-)