Subject: [Leica] permission vs consensual photography
From: heintz at ucalgary.ca (John W. Heintz)
Date: Wed Apr 20 12:45:01 2005

On 20 Apr 2005, Sonny wrote:

> Permission may be given tacitly too.
>
> (I have done some photo-sniping, though.)
>
> http://www.sonc.com/sniper.htm
>

> Regards,
> Sonny

And if that smile isn't 'tacit permission', what would be?

I've enjoyed following the way this discussion has developed from what
appeared to be very simply stated, straightforward opposition to a
rich, complex and nuanced discussion of the many different situations
photographers find themselves in when doing candid photography,
together with the expression of some basic ethical principles that most
seem to agree on. That's the way serious ethical discussions have to go
- no simple description of a situation states everything relevant to an
ethical decision. So we get the 'what if's and 'how would you feel?'s,
and as time goes on features emerge that can, we all see, make a
difference.

There are, indeed, different 'rules' for different situations. If
Karen's going to publish her ethnographical studies, she has to meet
the ethics requirements of her discipline and institution. If Aldo were
Benetton, they'd want to use B.D.'s ALDO (regardless of his price) in a
glossy ad, and B.D. would be rushing to get his subject's release.

Great discussion!

john