Subject: [Leica] Re: Let's Just Say That Leica Survives and....
From: firkin at balhpl01.ncable.net.au (firkin)
Date: Wed Apr 20 20:21:02 2005

John Collier writes:

> No Digital M = No Leica
>
> I feel that there would be a substantial market for a digital camera with
> an M finder and operating controls designed for actual photography rather
> than a bazillion different "features".
>
> John Collier

6 months ago, I would have argued with you along the lines of "film will be
with us for a long time yet" and "there will be many hobbists who will enjoy
the feel and real of Leica photography", BUT I am beginning to wonder how
long film will last. Yes I know there will be outlets for film much as there
are outlets for any "craft - hobby", but even in places like Vietnam, film
is sitting on the shelf and digital cameras are walking out the door. I
cannot buy Tetenal C41 tablet process anymore, and therefore need to save up
12 to 20 films to justify processing colour film. If the processing labs
close down, I suspect people will meekly accept the "need" to move to
digital anyway. Digital is just so sexy at the moment, that any other
considerations are put aside. Hmmm, so if Leica cannot find a niche in the
digital world, as it has held a niche in the film world, then perhaps it
will only be a high end repair shop for enthusiasts : of whom there will be
a lot throughout the world. Yet despite this, a Leica Gallery will be
opening in Melbourne on May 6: here's luck

Cheers
Alastair Firkin
www.afirkin.com
www.familyofman2.com