Subject: [Leica] Let's Just Say That Leica Survives and....
From: i.watts at virgin.net (Ian Watts)
Date: Thu Apr 21 02:43:30 2005

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> I totally disagree, Mark. Price matters a great deal, even for fondlers.
> If Leica comes out with a price point like the one mentioned by Robert,
> then they might as well not bother.
>
> If Leica comes out with a digital M in 2006, the price has to be under
> 2500 Euro.

I think you are being wildly optimistic, Nathan. Why shouldn't Leica look at
the Canon (or Nikon) professional offerings and try to pitch their digital M
somewhere in that price range? I don't see any reason to expect a digital M
to be brought to the market at a price cheaper than, say, a Canon 1D Mk II
(the 8.2MP body) which in the UK is somewhere just shy of 3000 quid. I
suspect it will actually be a wee bit more than this - 3500 GBP or 5000
euro. If I can afford it at the time - and it's more than half-decent (10MP
or so, 1.3x multiplier, proper M finder, etc.) - I'll probably bite if Leica
can price it in 2006 comparable to a Nikon 2DX or the (presumably
forthcoming) Canon 1D Mk III.

Ian Watts.

Replies: Reply from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Let's Just Say That Leica Survives and....)