Subject: [Leica] Coenen's interview on Asahi Camera
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Apr 22 15:37:06 2005

> And the lack of innovation around the M is actually quite staggering.  Is
> there anyone that
> actually prefers e.g. the bottom-loading vs. a easy swinging-back loading
> with
> a small window to
> show if/what film-type is loaded?
>
> Cheers,
>
> p.

This aspect of the construction of the camera is not there for nostalgic
sake but basic.
The solidity of the camera is basic on it being die cast and so on.
It's been a long time since we've gone over this one on the lug but the last
time we did it turned out most of us were just fine with the loading and
basic construction of the M's.

I recall when I had started college in the early 70s and was about to get my
first serous camera. An SLR. A Nikon.
But just then the F2 came out.
It seemed a lot sweeter to me and worth the extra bucks.
Although it was not me paying for it.

And you didn't have to take the whole back off like the F before it to load
it. The back swung open.

Everyone said the F2 was a toy and all the pros and "them that knows" where
sticking with the F.

I was able to get the F2.
I think now the F2 is not thought of as anything less than total hockey
puck.
But that goes against what I was saying.

Nevermind.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon