Subject: [Leica] Coenen's interview on Asahi Camera
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Apr 22 23:18:20 2005

On 4/22/05 9:22 PM, "Richard" <richard-lists@imagecraft.com> typed:

> Combined VF/RF? :-)
>
> At 08:50 PM 4/22/2005, you wrote:
>
>> Right on. With today's manufacturing and what not, what's
>> feasible to "pack" into a small M mount camera? What would
>> one have to "give up"  vs. an M3-7 body? What could feasibly
>> be added?
>>
>> Scott
>
> // richard (This email is for mailing lists. To reach me directly, please
> use richard at imagecraft.com)

It seems to me that from the engineering and design standpoints compactness
issues have come a long way since the mid 50s.

I think a Leica M with LTM proportions could easily be made.
And most certainly have a meter.
It could lean on electronics a bit to keep the price down; And the size
down.
That would not kill me.
And it could use less brass than the LTM's had but more lighter materials.
Titanium. And various high tech plastics.
Like with Basalt fibers from the center of the earth or some absurd thing
like that.

I keep harping about what happened when the OM1 came out.
And forced them all to take a long hard look at their fat camera designs.
And that was when Leica came out with the CL non coincidently enough.

Time to tighten the belt again.
Shed some excess vowels.

I can live with electronics and plastics. CPUs and CCD's.

Oh yes of course when they come out with this camer it comes out in two
verious. Both twins other wise.
One for film one for digital.

And if I was running the thing I'd have the film camera be half frame.
24x18mm
Which is close enough to the size of the 1.5 crop most of us have been
working with for these last couple of years.
23.7 x 15.6mm

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/

Replies: Reply from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Coenen's interview on Asahi Camera)
Reply from tim at KairosPhoto.com (Timothy Atherton) ([Leica] Coenen's interview on Asahi Camera)