Subject: [Leica] Coenen's interview on Asahi Camera
From: schroter at optonline.net (schroter@optonline.net)
Date: Sat Apr 23 20:51:17 2005

I disagree strongly.  I recently read an article abou the problems that high
end automobile manufactureers had when they tried to go with downmarket
models. BMW's low end, Mercedes low end, and Jaguar's four wheel drive
sedan.  The response in the marketplace from their traditional customers was
rasberries.

If a company has a high end brand that company seriously risks its cache
with high end customers if it tries to go to a broader market.  Izod Lacoste
is another example.

For better or worse, Leica has a high end brand and must  not go for mass
markets with low end products as it will do so with great risk to its M and
R series brands.

Regards,

Andy