Subject: [Leica] Re:Black ZI
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Apr 24 09:58:39 2005

B. D. Colen offered:
Subject: RE: [Leica] Re:Black ZI

> The reality here, Ted, is that I think because so few people put in the
> time and effort to learn how to take photos unobtrusively, and put in
> the work needed to then perfect doing it, they figure that there's some
> piece of equipment that allows one to do it magically. And just as many
> people think that any snapshot taken with a Leica is ready for hanging
> in the MOMA, so they think that to be successful at unobtrusive
> photography one has to use a Leica, and, conversely, if you use a Leica,
> you will of course be successful at unobtrusive photography because it
> is so "quiet." :-)<,

Hi B.D.,
Absolutely! We see it all the time... "I use a Leica, therefore I am!!!!!!!
A great unobtrusive shooter when in reality the "crappy exposures they
produce make you want to throw-up!"  But try and explain that to some "Leica
owners" who truly believe every frame they expose it's a great, wonderful or
other adjective pertaining to fabulous because it's a Leica taken photo."

Sure there's a huge difference between someone shooting day after day on
assignments where  your livelihood depends on production without excuse,
compared to the weekend photo warrior and a little plinking as the mood
strikes. It's like anything else though, if you want to be good you have to
work at it, put lots of time in, shoot hundreds of rolls and learn the
tricks of handling both camera and body language. That is until it becomes
just like breathing and just as satisfying!

Then it get's slightly easier and sometimes you get lucky capturing a few
moving moments. But it isn't because it's a Leica, it's because one puts the
time in shooting rolls & rolls of film, studying the results, making
corrections, moving on and becoming better at what one see's and not because
it's a Leica.... they themselves become better.

We have seen many on the list over the years knocking themselves out working
at it and because of that effort, we see their improvements. Then we've had
the "wonder boys" who arrive, post the most atrocious images, of course with
their great ramblings of how good they are because they used a Leica.

When in reality it's not the camera ... it's the person holding it that
always counts, regardless what kind of machine. But some never learn!

ted