Subject: [Leica] A First
From: heintz at ucalgary.ca (John W. Heintz)
Date: Sun Apr 24 11:18:21 2005

On 22 Apr 2005, at 16:37, Henning J. Wulff wrote:

> The solar electric cells are still, for the most part, a feel-good
> technology as the life cycle costs are generally a lot higher than the
> power savings costs, even in things like building integrated
> technologies where the solar panels replace some of the building
> components (thus replacing that expenditure). Solar panel shingles
> exist, as does solar panel spandrel glazing. Unfortunately the
> cheaper, amorphous silicon cells are the less efficient ones as well.

Henning's right. The tall trees and many cloudy days, plus the high
life-cycle costs, made solar totally impractical for our little group
of cabin owners in Interior British columbia (Lake Shuswap). But a
modest creek, 2500 feet of 5" poly pipe, new control technology, and
lots of bashing up and down the trail has given 13 of us 1500w each or
hydroelectric power, good for many years.

Major maintenance is re-hanging power lines and replacing broken pipe
due to winter deadfall.

A lot quieter and a great saving on fossil fuel over the 13 gas
generators banging through the evening hours.

john