Subject: [Leica] Re:OT Nikons new cameras
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Apr 26 06:52:48 2005

On 4/26/05 3:33 AM, "F?lix L?pez de Maturana" <FELIXMATURANA@telefonica.net>
typed:

>> Felix tell us what this full frame digital capability has opened up for
>> you
>> possibility wise and how often you really use it!?
>> Do you have a stack of 13x19s or 17x22's sitting there and the old ones in
>> the stack shot with the cropped sensors are an embarrassment?
>

> Hi Mark,
>
> I think that this has been discussed "ad nauseam" in the endless quarrel
> between N and C owners! This also concerns to the future Leica sensors.
> The size of course does not matter if the final quality is up to the
> necessities you have. I do not print giant pictures so a so called APS
> had to be enough for me. But not speaking about noise issues with a
> minor sensor, my problem and BTW the problem of all users with some
> experience and, mainly, with a considerable amount of previous gear is
> that *all* your lenses became different. In my case I've got in the last
> 36 years exactly 34 different Nikkor lenses that suddenly in the digital
> aspect  acquire a new nature.  So a extreme wide is not more a extreme
> wide but merely a wide. Of course the tele will become a "extended" tele
> by cropping the image.
>
> New lenses for this new "format" are supposed to be smaller -most
> aren't- cheaper -again they aren't- and mainly they suppose on the wide
> side a redundancy as you need  -let's say- a standard 28-70 for film and
> a 18-50, or anything like that, for digital. Besides there are lenses
> with no equivalence in the digital arena. There are not outstanding
> primes or they, as the big teles, change nature mainly DOF. I have no
> 14mm f2.8 for digital or a extreme wide zoom  as the 17(16)-35 f2.8. I
> know these lenses are far from perfect but I like them very much. Canon
> with the full format sensor digital cameras left to users the
> possibility of using all my lenses in their exact nature. Apart from
> this the Canon FF digital cameras are the moire near to perfection
> cameras I know. I should be still using my Nikkor lenses if the Nikon
> D2X had full format sensor because the excellent 17-35 f2.8 will be
> exactly this not a cropped  25-43 zoom and I like a lot the camera.
>
> And Leica? Of course a FF sensor will be feasible. But at a astronomical
> price and therefore putting seriously in danger -more?- the future
> existence of the firm. So it's necessary to remark that every Leica -R
> and M- user with a big investment in lenses will have *different* lenses
> for digital pictures. If they shoot mostly tele -I'll think of Doug-
> they may be happy. If not they will feel not so well. And R backs will
> suppose that when switching from film to digital the lens instantly
> vary. I wish not this, so it's very easy I'll follow using film Leicas
> and Canon FF DSLR -by now two of them -the 1Ds and 1Ds MkII and with
> Canon lenses just because I'm very lazy and I trust the auto everything
> that so flawlessly works.
>
> Best regards

> [...]
Well Geese! Felix! on the wide angle lens issue all you do is go out and buy
a Nikon 12-24 zoom which is what I did. Equates to a 18-35.
On the canon its the Zoom Super Wide Angle EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Nikon has a 10.5mm lens.

I'm shooting wider now with the 1.5 digital and not enjoying it less!

Before all I had was a measly 21 ASPH Elmarit.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/