Subject: [Leica] Motion picture cameras hot?
From: jon.stanton at comcast.net (jon.stanton@comcast.net)
Date: Tue Apr 26 14:38:44 2005

Additional follow-up to Jay's comments:
I read this after my response to you. The man is right. We are using gear
that was made last week as well as 30 years ago. This stuff must last. High
speed cameras have heavy duty movements that will get hot however the shot
durations tend to be short and they cool quickly.  BOB

Jay's Comments:

"Hi-speed cameras (frame rates over 150fps) had a tendency to sometimes over
heat, but not your normal production cameras. Actually, Panavision cameras
come with a heater for cold weather to insure proper lubrication of the
gears and motor. And with 35mm camera bodies being so expensive (you can not
even buy Panavision, only rent) folks would be a tad bit upset if they went
through multiple bodies on a show. Having been a Panavision and Arriflex
technician in my somewhat checkered
past, the only cameras I saw quit on a shoot had been abused, batteries
died, bodies dropped and even one where a plane struck the camera on take
off (remote camera - no operator). Even one where the operator had a battery
die and decided that since it was 12 volt - he would hook it up to his car
battery and run it that way. Well, he swapped the polarity and burn out
every wire in the body, which gave off acrid fumes which etched every
bearing surface (except the jeweled bearing) requiring a complete rewire and
rebuild. Very expensive.
No, these bodies are very robust.

Jay Ignaszewski"

Replies: Reply from bonvini at optonline.net (Jay) ([Leica] Motion picture cameras hot?)