Subject: [Leica] Some new Leica- now jpeg (better link)
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard)
Date: Wed Apr 27 08:56:29 2005

There is always exceptions to the rules. In your case, I think the large
area of single color etc. would make the differences in saving JPG vs.
TIFF/PSD immaterial. OTOH, it's whatever works for the users so if you are
happy with it, that's all that counts.

Fact is though if you are looking for the "best possible this and that...,"
after spending good $$$ on Leica glass, but then throw it away on JPG
artifacts is a waste IF the output is for enlargement purpose. The way I
scan is just throw the whole roll at the Nikon bulk film adapter and scan
the whole strips at ~2000 dpi and save the results are JPGs. They are
plenty good enough for web pics and even 5x7. These can be archive fairly
easily onto CDs. If I want to make any enlargement, I just rescan the
original at full resolution and save as TIFF. To me, this is the best of
both worlds: I have a "backup" scan of everything and the originals if I
want to rescan at whatever resolutions I want.

use richard at imagecraft.com)