Subject: [Leica] Some new Leica photos ... now: scanner dpi
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Wed Apr 27 16:47:33 2005

Jay--

The dpi thing can be a distraction.

Most of us (?) print only a small percentage of of the shots we take.
Scanning all your negatives with enough resolution to print them to
16X20 is not only a waste of storage and time, but approaches hubris.

I scan everything at about 1500-2000 pixels on the longest side and
save it as a high quality JPEG. (Actually, Eckerds does most of them.)
I dump these into iPhoto and tag them. They become an electronic
contact sheet that can be searched. They are also sufficient to print
8X10s for friends and family. I get a couple thousand images on a DVD
in an iPhoto album. You can go even smaller if you print mostly 4X6s.

Let?s face it, the 35mm negative is a more efficient storage medium
that digital media. When you decide you need a high quality print for
publication or to hang over the sofa, you do another scan of the
negative just for that print. You can easily find it because you filed
it with your electronic contact sheet.

For quality printing, you need to know where you?re headed. I scan for
about 300 dpi in the final output. In other words, if I?m printing to
16 inches wide, I scan to 4800 pixels wide. I find that more than 300
dpi in the final print is wasted. If I?m not sure of the final size, I
scan for about 25 inches wide. This gives me more size than my printer
will use (13X19 inches max). I archive the finished file, with all
layers and adjustments. These can easily get in the 100-200 Meg range,
but that will still get you a couple dozen full images on a DVD for
posterity and save you doing repeating your work later for another
print. For printing, I scale it down to the usable final.

Ric Carter
Garner, NC