Subject: [Leica] digital transformation - not
From: bonvini at optonline.net (Jay)
Date: Thu Apr 28 05:19:14 2005

Film to capture, digital to post.

Love the "look" of film - digital originals still don't have the "look".
Something about the way a slide looks projected.......

Been shooting with the same Canon F1 since 1979, use mostly a 17mm.
When my wife and I married 10 years ago, she gave me her late father's IIIF
with a 50, 80 and a 100. The body is a bit tattered from use, but I love the
images from these uncoated lenses.
Joined this group to find out more about the camera and to look at images.
Been a bit hesitant to add my pix to the mix.
But I have enjoyed the spirited conversations, and when it comes to image
making, I am not sure if anything is "off topic".

Following the group's discussion regarding P&S cameras, just recently
obtained an XA and finding it great to use.

When I started shooting seriously back in 1970, I used mostly 4x5 and 8x10
view cameras. It seemed that with these cameras, I took more time thinking
about the image before I made the exposure. My images profited from this
introspection. Some days I only made 1-3 exposures.

Had my own darkroom - souped b&w as well as transparencies. Loved that
moment when the image appeared in the developer.

I really am enamored with the way a camera feels, a construct of form and
function.

Just rambling here, but I guess what I am saying - there is something about
the look of film, digital hasn't gotten there yet. Not sure it will.
But the digital darkroom has definitely replaced the wet work for me.

Jay Ignaszewski