Subject: [Leica] digital transformation
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu Apr 28 15:31:22 2005

>Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005
>From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
>Subject: [Leica] digital transformation

>So I guess what I am really wondering is, how many of us on the list are
>somewhat nostalgic for film, or have genuinely embraced the digital
>revolution?
>
>Don
>dorysrus@mindspring.com

I'm 95% digital at work, using EOS-1D and 1Ds bodies; on my own time, for
my own pleasure and psyche, I like film.  On the job, digital makes it so
much easier to shoot under marginal conditions, and of course the client
expects images right away.  But for ME, I like to relax and use a lighter
camera that meshes with me, one that doesn't have a dozen choices for every
control. I like my M's,OM's, Rolleiflex, Graflex: one control = one
function.

I also don't mind the wait for Kodachrome to come back or until I can get
in the B&W darkroom.  This way I get twice the pleasure: taking the shot,
and later, after that has dimmed, the joy of seeing what I got.  It's nice
to get away from the computer too.  (I like being in the darkroom, with the
sound of water and some classical music playing)

...love the smell of Tri-X in the morning...  B^)

Alan

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer
Visual Imaging