Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 16: Cool guys with pooches
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Apr 28 15:57:32 2005

>-and I'm sorry I cannot translate this in English-'perdre les
>p?dales' from time to time?
>Philippe

Yes, as I said, Pitbulls have a bigger aggressivity potential than all
other breeds. Originally, they have been breeded to control wild bulls in
the corral, that's why they are so fearless. Since a few decades, they have
been breeded for dogfights. Since ten or fifteen years, they got popular as
guardian dogs amongst dealers, junkies, and other outlaws or
wanna-be-outlaws, and the breeding has been pushed toward more anti-mankind
aggressivity. The breeders and those who pay them are the problem, not the
dogs.

A reverse example: I had a female Sarplaninac dog for 13 years. These dogs
protect sheeps, goats and farms in southern Yugoslavia where I had her
from. Big, strong and without fear. Everybody found her cute and cuddly.
And she was cute and cuddly, except once when a Rottweiler (which, in my
country, have a similar negative image like pitbulls) ran into my then two
year old daughter. My dog killed the Rottweiler instantly with a bite in
the neck. Everyone said: well done. But, what if my dog would have been the
pitbull and the other the sheepdog? Imagine the headlines the next day...
Didier

Message from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Nathan's PAW 16: Cool guys with pooches)