Subject: [Leica] Re:digital transformation
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Fri Apr 29 11:28:25 2005

> Somewhere, somebody always wanta an original.

In 1978 I was visiting the British Museum. Waiting in line for lunch in the
little cafeteria there, I looked in the glass case that they had
thoughtfully placed to help us line-waiters forget about the delays. The
case contained, primarily, original manuscripts of famous books, including a
section of the King James Bible, Henry Miller's The Turn of the Screw, an
Edgar Allen Poe story, and a few more that I don't remember.

I was in London taking a break from writing my doctoral dissertation, which
was on computerized word processing and document production. At that time I
knew that in 25 to 50 years there would no longer be such a thing as an
"original" in the world of publication. I daydreamed about what they might
have in that showcase in the year 2003, some 25 years in the future. A
floppy disk holding a draft of some great book? Laser printer output of a
draft of a poem?

The showcase is gone. They couldn't figure out what to put in it, either. By
and large the world of printed books has learned to live without the concept
of "original manuscript". My guess is that the world of photography will
eventually learn it too.

One of the most difficult characteristics of the digital world is that a
copy of a digital artifact is indistinguishable from the original. This
dilemma has kept Microsoft and Adobe busy for years engineering schemes for
sofware activation, so that it's not enough to have a copy of the software,
you must also receive electronic permission to use it. That's how they
implement the notion of "original".

Since the "original" of a digital image is a bunch of bits, and all visual
renderings of it are copies, collectors will have to spend their money on
something else. Me, I want Kyle Cassidy to autograph a big print of a
portrait of Colleen. She's an original, and his signature would be an
original; to heck with the provenance of the print.

Replies: Reply from clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss) ([Leica] Re:digital transformation)
Reply from robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier) ([Leica] Re:digital transformation)
Message from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re:digital transformation)