Subject: [Leica] Re: Film/digital wars
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Sat Apr 30 19:00:49 2005

Mark Rabiner writes in part:

> I can land an Epson R1D1 or wait till further options arrive. And or Scan
> the film I get from my M bodies as I'm already doing. I can land a
> Hasselblad
> digital back or rent one as the occasion arise.

> Now this makes the prices of Leica ludicrous how? Am I missing something?
> For one thing I already own the system so whatever it cost I figured out
> how
> to deal with it over a period of time and now it's mine to use.
> When I reach for my 90 APO ASPH a little voice doest come out of
> my camera case and say "give me 200 bucks first".
> You pay for it once.
> All I need is a digital body.
> I expect it to be expensive and I expect it to be well worth it.
> Its certainly going to cost a small fraction of what a present
> reasonably professional complete Leica system costs anyway.
>
> I find it interesting that the people who seem to feel that film use is
> ridiculous and that any gear which stinks of film use is a relic are often
> the ones who have little to show for all their past film use. But plenty of
> "uploads" to show for their present digital use. Had they ever figured out
> the
> darkroom in the first place they'd have a more balanced view of film use
> in the
> present and future.

Amen Mark; My sentiments exactly! What's the rush?

Reading constant, incessent, never-ending posts on the list along the lines
of: film is dying, film is dead, buy digital because film is dead, ka, ka,
Leica's are overpriced, ka, ka, etc, etc, etc, makes me wonder why some
people view themselves as Prophets when in reality they really have far too
much time to Troll the list.

Regards,

Greg