Subject: [Leica] Serendipity, film, and rediscovery
From: drodgers7798 at comcast.net (drodgers7798@comcast.net)
Date: Mon May 2 12:16:21 2005

Based on my recent LUG musing people use a lot of different workflows. One
thing I haven't seen recently is a pinhole photography thread. Obviously
digital has completely replaced pinhole photography as a medium of choice.
Please, a moment of silence for the shoebox camera?..

I admire those who can stick with one process. My favorite workflow runs in
cycles. I've rarely touched my DSLR lately because I?ve rediscovered my
Contax T2. I dusted it off intending to sell it, but decided to shoot a roll
for old times sake.  I scanned the film with a Minolta Dimage 5400 and made
some prints. Serendipity! Some of the best images I'd made in a long time.
The more I use it, the more I like it.

Even my Leica Ms are cumbersome compared to the T2. And the scanned images
from film and the T2 are better than the results I can get from a comparably
sized digicam. (I've never have warmed to the mini-digis).

Tomorrow I may go back to Leica, or to DSLR, or Hasselblad, or even 4x5. It
depends on my mood, and what I want to accomplish.

One of the great things about the LUG is that it shows me that variety is
still alive and well. If we all used the same camera/medium/processing
(workflow if you will) life would be pretty boring.

BTW, in the T2 I?m shooting BW400CN primarily, but also shooting E100VS.
Even when I convert the latter to bw it has a very different look from the
BW400CN.

Again, it?s great to have choices. Good images make for good
equipment/medium/etc. Not visa versa, I always say!.

DaveR