Subject: [Leica] PAW 2005-03: Birding along the Kamogawa River (aka Doug Herr, help!)
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Thu May 5 05:44:01 2005

on 5/5/05 5:26 AM, Karen Nakamura at mail@gpsy.com wrote:

> I haven't had time recently to PAW for real. This week is no
> exception, this is a fake PAW since I used my Canon 10D.  I went for
> a walk along Kyoto's beautiful Kamogawa River. I came across some
> gorgeous birds. Is anyone a real birder and can tell me what they are?
>
> http://www.photoethnography.com/gallery/paw2005/index03.html
>
> Doug Herr, help!  I'm an anthropologist, not an ornithologist, darn it! :-)

This bird is an Egret of some kind (in the Heron family, Ardeidae).   I'm
most familiar with North American species so I can't get the ID beyond
family.  Looks like the closest North American species is the Great Egret.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] PAW 2005-03: Birding along the Kamogawa River (aka Doug Herr, help!))