Subject: [Leica] nikon in NY times paws and geek chic
From: jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Fri May 6 19:47:24 2005

All manufacturers of digital cameras & backs encrypt parts of the RAW file -
see here: http://www.cybercom.net/%7Edcoffin/dcraw/ - BTW, dcraw is the
software on which most RAW converters are based. My guess is that Adobe
could not go after Canon or Sony because they are large companies, therefore
they went after Nikon to highlight the problem. It is in Adobe's business
interest to have everything they need in open source, so they do not have to
pay for it....
Cheers
Jayanand