Subject: [Leica] Summaron eyes
From: P2CON at aol.com (P2CON@aol.com)
Date: Fri May 13 13:23:10 2005

There were two versions of the Summaron 35/f3.5 with eyes.  The type shown
in
the pictures that started this thread, and the type described by Eric in the
message below.
I think that Leica discovered that users of the first type, (M adapter added
to screw-mount lens), were trying to use the lens without the eyes on a
screw
mount body.  Of course when they did that, they discovered the focus was way
off at any distance other than infinity due to the different focusing cam
shape.  The later design with the permanent M-mount and the DR type
removable eyes
was less likely to be used improperly, (without the eyes).

However, those of us that have the newer version and don't like the eyes can
still take off the eyes and use the lens by scale-focusing with the distance
markings on the lens.  It works quite well for general shooting in bright
light
with the lens stopped down to give a tolerant DOF.  A very nice and compact
lens for day time walk about shooting.

Regards, Paul Connet

In a message dated 5/13/2005 8:58:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,