Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 18 & 19: NL, FR, DK
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon May 16 12:07:26 2005

My PAWs for these two weeks span 3 countries. First the Netherlands. The
anniversary of Liberation is celebrated here over two days. May 4th is
devoted to remembering the soldiers who died fighting to liberate this
country, and May 5th is a celebration of freedom. So, my week 18
pictures are all related to these commemorations. On May 4th at 8 p.m.
the country observed 2 minutes of silence. All public transport stopped,
and drivers were encouraged to do so as well. Judging by a motorway near
my house, the majority did:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_18.jpg

The next day, May 5th, we drove to Arnhem to see the tributes there. At
the Commonwealth cemetery where 1753 mostly British soldiers and airmen
are buried, lots of wreaths like this one were to be seen:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_18alt1.jpg

In the centre of Arnhem, the Dutch army was doing a symbolic
re-enactment of the parachute drop 60 years ago, from the tower of the
cathedral:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_18alt2.jpg
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_18alt3.jpg
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_18alt4.jpg

Several of these were taken with a Leica lens, pick them out or look in
the technical data below the thumbnails ;-)

Then we move on to week 19. My uncle in France (Le Mans) was to receive
the Legion d'Honneur order on May 8th, Victory Day, so we used it as an
excuse to have one of our rare global family reunions. He was to receive
the honour for his life-long work in the Jewish community of the Sarthe
departement. The ceremony was part of the overall Victory Day
ceremonies. Here is one of the many French veterans present:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_19.jpg

Here is my uncle shortly after having received his medal, visibly moved
during the prefect's speach, which recounted his wartime ordeals, the
loss of his entire family and other painful memories:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_19alt1.jpg

Here he is in a happier mood, being interviewed by local TV:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_19alt2.jpg

After the formalities at the prefecture, we moved on to his house to
celebrate:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_19alt3.jpg

The next day, the Wajsman caravan moved on to Copenhagen, by road and by
air. On Wednesday the 11th I had scheduled the unveiling of my father's
gravestone. Here is my sister, putting the finishing touches on the
inscription:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_19alt4.jpg

And then we spent a day in Copenhagen. I proudly showed off what I
consider my town, and here are a couple of shots from two places which I
often visited with my father, first the street called Gammel Strand:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_19alt5.jpg

and then a bar in Nyhavn, where we often went to drink a beer:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2005/2005_19alt6.jpg

Sorry if this is all a bit lengthy, but it was a long couple of
weeks...The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2005.html
and comments/critique are always welcome and appreciated.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman
Almere, The Netherlands