Subject: Mark's Captioning Manifesto (was Re: [Leica] Aaron's PAW19: Relief)
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Tue May 17 07:16:55 2005

Mark,

(Please forgive me if I don't respond in verse...I regret that I have
nothing that even approaches your ability with words.)

A dilemma indeed...perhaps depending on one's goal: to have fun, to show a
great photo, or to tell a story (particularly if one has failed to fully
tell it with the photo).  I will freely admit that I felt the story had
some merit but wasn't clear from the photo (which I find nice but perhaps
not strong enough to stand on its own).

Plus, I find that I get more responses to PAWs where I include a little
story than to ones where I don't.  :)

Nevertheless, I feel your pain...I can promise I will take this perspective
into consideration in the future.  And when I manage to make a photo that I
feel is strong enough to stand on its own, I'll try to let it do so...no
easier a task than the mother bird has nudging the fledgling out of the
nest, but perhaps no less necessary.

Thank you for the manifesto,
Aaron

Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Aaron's PAW19: Relief)