Subject: [Leica] old film wanted
From: Summicron1 at aol.com (Summicron1@aol.com)
Date: Tue May 17 19:02:00 2005

 speaking of old film...

When I was at the Getty Art Institute in LA a couple of months ago I met the
senior scientist in charge of photography analysis. He is trying, among many
things, to assemble a collection of all the various types of film that have
been made over the decades, to serve as a comparison database for photography
analysis. Knowing what film was like when helps date things, analyze
chemistry of images and so on. It gets real technical, real fast.

I made him very extremely happy when I went through my darkroom and shipped
him all the odd rolls I've accumulated over the years -- stuff in camera
outfits I'd bought, stray rolls in cameras I bought, and so on.

If anyone has any old film at all -- plate, roll, sheet, b/w or color, pan,
chrome, exposed, expired, anything, it can be donated to the Getty for this
valuable service to the future. Please dig and send to me:

Charles Trentelman
3556 Fowler Ave.
Ogden, UT 84403-1123

and I will forward it on to him.
This is a great way to get rid of junk, such as the roll of film in the
Brownie you bought at the yard sale and you just hate to toss it.
I cleaned out about a cubic foot of airspace in my darkroom when I did this
-- and in my darkroom, every square foot is valuable.

Thanks

charles trentelman

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] old film wanted)