Subject: [Leica] PAW 20 Millenium Bridge and St. Paul's - Try this!!
From: philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent)
Date: Wed May 18 01:55:34 2005

The strange thing with the shot is that if you level the horizon (1.72? CCW)
it still doesn't look horizontal. If you put the verticals at 90? (as is the
original), it isn't either. If you level the pavement in front of the bridge
(0.85? CCW), it starts to look horizontal. But the verticals aren't 100%
vertical any more.

So it might have something to do with cam tilt.
Then again, if it were cam tilt, the verticals wouldn't be parallel. Which
they are.

So it might have something to do with your VF frame that isn't 100% parallel
with your cam body. Which would be strange because it would have shown up in
other shots, too.

So it migh have something to do with the fact that (if so) it is a RF: the
main entrance of St. Paul's is slightly of centre, as often happens when you
try to frame objects behind each other in one axis in the centre of the VF:
the final result is seldomly dead on and plays strange optical tricks with
the eye. But that wouldn't explain everything.

I'm pretty sure that you saw it dead centre through your VF and that it
looked symmetrical when you shot it.

So my guess is that the bridge is a bit to the left of the axis of St.
Paul's. Thus, you being in the centre of the bridge and following the
bridge's axis, the horizon tilted a bit CW, keeping the verticals parallel.
This rises an interesting question: did Foster make (apart from the
oscillation issue) an architectural mistake? The bridge sure doesn't seem
out of the axis of St-Paul's at first sight, but it might be. I can't
remember what the situation was when I visited Tate Modern, but I would have
seen it, though. I suppose he chose to be perpendicular to the Thames, and
St. Paul's is just not parallel to the river. In other words, Sir
Christopher Wren made the "mistake"?

I seems to be the latter:

http://www.ph.ucla.edu/epi/snow/1859map/map1859_j-l_19-21.html
Or
http://tinyurl.com/a2fcy

In any case: I don't think it is possible to get it perfect when shooting or
by just tilting the horizon: some more Photoshop fiddling might be needed,
if you feel like it :-)

Hey, this is fun!