Subject: [Leica] mobile phones and breakneck speeds
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu May 19 20:42:35 2005

Simon,

My car does not have cruise control, my foot is it...

Perhaps I should have qualified my statements a bit. I do not speed in
towns. I do not accelerate pointlessly when the right changes to green
only to slam on the brakes at the next intersection. But when I drive
somewhere far away, I will drive as fast as is reasonable in order to
get there. "Reasonable" depends on road conditions, the volume of
traffic, the speed limit, and whether or not there are speed cameras
around.

So, for example, if I am driving to Denmark on a Sunday, I will drive
around 140 km/h in the Netherlands, slowing down near cities since that
is where the speed cameras are; once in Germany (most of the drive), I
open it up, as do other drivers, since there is no general speed limit
on the Autobahn. And if the weather is good and the traffic light, then
there is nothing wrong in going 160 or 180, whatever you are comfortable
with, given your driving skills and the state of your car. Even at those
speeds I am frequently passed by others. Then, once I cross into
Denmark, I slow down to around 140-150 again, since the speed limit is
110 or 130 and the motorways tend to be a bit more curvy than in Germany.

I do not believe any of the above is unsafe in any way, and is certainly
not related to intelligence. Both intelligent and stupid people can
drive fast or slowly, and I have seen all permutations of that.

Nathan