Subject: [Leica] contax P&S cameras T3 & TVS III
From: langeratcarleton at gmail.com (Mark Langer)
Date: Fri May 20 06:53:56 2005

I have the XA and XA4 (the one with the 28mm f3.5 lens.  I like both
cameras very much, but there is no comparison to the Contax TVS that I
own in terms of lens and control over exposure.  For example, the XA
suffers from vignetting (this observation based on three samples of
the camera) and only has semi-auto operation with the sole option of a
1 1/2 stop backlight compensation.  The XA4, while it doesn't suffer
from vignetting (and is a lighter package than my 28mm Cosina
Voigtlander lens) but offers no control over either aperture or
shutter speed.

I am a big fan of tiny and mid-sized Japanese 35mm cameras, but in
terms of image quality and control options, none of them can hold a
candle to the Zeiss lenses on my Rollei 35SE or my Contax TVS,
although the glass on my two Konica Auto S3s comes close, and nothing
can beat the S3 for using flash, as its system adjusts for ambient
light.  As you say, cheap is relative, and I think that merhdad's
comment was based on price in relation either to prices a short while
ago, or in terms of Leica prices.

Mark