Subject: [Leica] Hood for collapsible Summicron
From: pmcc_2000 at yahoo.com (Peter M. C. Choy)
Date: Fri May 20 17:11:29 2005

feli,

I use one on my collapsible Summicron
and it has worked fine.  It has the
advantage of allowing you to use the
Leica metal lens cap on the hood. No
fooling around with fiddly bayonets
and reversing the hood when not in use.

You might wonder whether it causes additional
vignetting.  I haven't tested it rigorously,
nor do I typically shoot wide open with
this lens, but I haven't seen any problems.
Also, I only use this lens for black & white,
not color slide. The conditions under which I
would shoot wide open are likely to be
ones where a little corner fall off would
not be a noticeable detraction, particularly
in black and white.  Also, I don't use this
lens in extreme lighting situations (back light,
light source in frame), so I haven't tested
rigorously for flare protection, but again,
no problems under my normal use.  FWIW.

Main advantage of this hood is that you can
still get it.  The other alphabet-code-worded
alternatives are a PITA to find and overpriced.

Peter.
SF,CA