Subject: [Leica] Now RAW vs JPEG
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri May 20 21:49:25 2005

Tina Manley my guiding digital angel offered:" :-)
> Sorry to be late but I just caught up with this thread.  No, Ted!!  I'm
> sorry but I very much disagree here.<<<
>
> Would you make a print from a negative and then destroy the negative
> because you had the print?<<

Hi Tina,
Obviously the answer is no.;-)

> A JPEG or Tiff is the print equivalent of a digital RAW negative.  You can
> develop the RAW negative many different ways with the software that is
> available now.  Who knows what will be available in the future!<

OK, then why do so many people whine and complain about the extra "work
flow" time aspect of digital, if I assume they are working in RAW?

I seem to get through a great number of "positives" quickly simply by
clicking everythig at auto everything and out come beautiful prints while
shot as JPEGs?

>>With a RAW file (negative) you will be able to take advantage of any
>>improvements in conversion software just like you can now use old
>>negatives to continue to make better and better prints with the technology
>>that is available.<<<<<

Alright I can understand the value of making better prints with, lets say
better paper, chemicals an or scannig and into a computer. And if that's the
case, why do so many digital users whine about the extra long time of facing
the screen making prints while shooting in RAW and not JPEG? ?

When I seem to slip through the process so quickly with no effort shooting
JPEG? I'm not trying to give you a hard time, certainly you of anyone on the
list given your experience.

You know my initial re-action to shooting RAW with the Diglux 2 was a
disaster, I just couldn't bother waiting around for the camera to do the
processing. Too many other photos were being missed! :-(

However, I will admit I haven't tried shooting RAW with the 20D, so maybe I
should try and see what the difference is.

> RAW is always the way to go unless you are just taking snapshots that you
> never intend to use again.<<<<<<

Alright, given you and Adam Bridge have made very strong presentations to
shoot in RAW and providing I can still do my KISS principle technique of
auto levels, contrast or colour. How could I not take you both as technical
and friendship advice?

Therefore I'll start to record in RAW tomorrow and see what happens in my
shooting experince the next few days. I thank you both for the advice and
I'll let you know what happens.  Thank you.

ted

Message from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] OT: canon 1dsII now has a wireless network transmitter)
Message from msadat at gmail.com (mehrdad) ([Leica] OT: canon 1dsII now has a wireless network transmitter)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] OT: canon 1dsII now has a wireless network transmitter)
Message from feli2 at earthlink.net (Feli) ([Leica] OT: canon 1dsII now has a wireless network transmitter)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Now RAW vs JPEG)