Subject: [Leica] a rock, a tree, and grandma
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun May 22 20:12:01 2005

On 5/22/05 9:11 AM, "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> typed:

> http://canid.com/current/palisades_0504_1.html
>
> http://canid.com/current/painting_with_grandma_4.html
>
> Fuji Neopan 400.  Xtol 1:3.
>
> Comments always welcomed.
>
> --
> Eric
> http://canid.com/

In the darkroom 9 out of 10 people when they start out print like this.
They kind of go for the gusto and be printing on 4 when they should be at 3
or 2.5. This is part of human nature it would seem to really go for it. Get
those blacks and plenty of snap. After awhile, years sometimes or never,
some perspective on the tonality issue is learned and they go more for the
subtleties. And/or learn to dodge an burn like a sun of a gun.

But you don't see this so often in our modern "print to monitor" photo blog
world. Histograms kind of point stuff like that out.

Could those be straight scans from machine made black and white 4x6's?

Decent black and white processing on a non pro level is still near
impossible to find. The film is developed by a hot spray. Not a dip and
dunk. Make for negs with the total range of tonality from A to B.

If that's the case I'd get back to running your negs yourself or switching
to C41 monochrome films or regular color neg as these are no brainers they
are not going to screw your negs up. (and is what I mainly do)

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/