Subject: [Leica] OT: Rogue Waves
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun May 22 22:49:09 2005

Ted:  Some years back, in my pre-Leica M days, we took an early fall
vacation in Banff National Park. It was dusk, and we were returning from
the north to some cabins a bit north of Banff town.  There was a "wildlife
traffic jam," so we pulled over.  I watched in simultaneous amusement and
horror as a Japanese tourist walked right up to a huge bull elk in full
antlers, shoved a motor-driven SLR in the animal's face and began
shooting.  The buck stamped and reared. Fortunately, the guy got out of the
way in time, giggling all the while.  I don't think he realized how close
he came to being shish-ka-bob.

A few seconds later, a Mountie with a bullhorn boomed out, "GET BACK IN
YOUR VEHICLE. . . *NOW*!!!"

And no, I don't have a picture.  The P&S I took on that trip died the
second day out, in a canoe on Moraine Lake (the one on the old Canadian $20
bill).  :-(

--Peter