Subject: [Leica] Now RAW vs JPEG
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon May 23 04:05:18 2005

At 02:06 AM 5/23/2005, you wrote:
>Tina:  As I understand it, a 16-bit TIFF file contains pretty much the
>same information as the RAW file.
>
>--Peter

No.  There is a big difference between Tiff and Raw files.  The Tiff has
been converted and decisions have to be made when the file is converted
from RAW.  Especially with the newest version of Photoshop, you have the
ability to correct chromatic fringing, lens distortion, vignetting,
temperature, exposure, sharpness, noise, and a lot more.  The Raw file
contains every bit of possible information.  When it is converted, even to
a 16 bit Tiff, bits of information are discarded and cannot be covered in
the converted form.  If you try to do some of the adjustments that are
possible on a Raw file with the Tiff file in Photoshop, you will end up
with combed histograms and posterized and banded prints.  There are lots of
web sites and the Bruce Fraser book that explain all of this, but I didn't
just read it all, I tried it with lots of different files, working in Raw
and with jpegs and Tiffs.  Raw gives you by far the most flexibility.  I
save Tiffs, too, when I get a photo adjusted just the way I want to print
it, but I also save the Raw.  My Raw files that I saved before the newest
version of Photoshop can still be converted taking advantage of all of the
new capabilities of the CS2 software.  If I only had saved the Tiffs, I
wouldn't be able to do that.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com